Wednesday, August 27, 2008

New Adventures

So things have gotten a little exciting in the past couple of days. I started school (teacher meetings this week, kids next). I am teaching photography and trying to get that all worked out. It's so crazy how you need to be an expert when you teach. The thought of teaching photography is so exciting, I find it to be the medium I am most passionate about in the visual arts. But when it comes to teaching, especially at the introductory level, my responsibility is to teach them the technical aspects of the camera, picture taking, darkroom etc. It's a lot easier to have advanced levels where they are self-managed. But the cool thing is, the art form I am most passionate about, I get to explore, learn, and master! It's empowering.

Then last night, but formally today, I was asked to be the faculty advisor for our student government. People may think I am crazy, but I am really passionate about school pride. Anyone that has ever gone to school with me knows I was President of the Art League, Editor of school newspapers, athletic associations, heritage clubs, key clubs, shag club (yes, shag club), soccer, track, basketball, band, jazz band. I was THAT kid. I loved going to school-college and middle and high schools because I was involved. Anyone I know that didn't enjoy school was not involved. So I want to encourage the students of my school to be involved and hopefully it will make going to school an awesome experience for them.

Obviously these are new stresses in my life, but they are good ones.
Life is good.

5 comments:

quietandsmalladventures said...

oh wow! that's outstanding!!!!

quietandsmalladventures said...

hey, you should look at this blog (http://www.princesslasertron.com/). i love reading her stuff and you both have such incredible creative energy.

A.P. Cronin said...

shag like the Brits say?

or like carpets and hair like americans?

Kellette said...

shag as in the dance...similar to swing, started in Myrtle Beach

Unknown said...

wow Kellie. I'm so proud of you.