Sunday, December 21, 2008

In honor of a great man

Yesterday I said my last goodbye to my grandpa. He was sick for the past week in a half in the hospital prompted by pneumonia. His health was a roller coaster of ups and downs, and at a time when we thought a miracle was to happen, it was his time. Fortunately Grandpa didn't suffer, he was bowling just a week before at the age of 87!

Grandpa is the closest person to me that has passed. I have so many fond memories of him. I grew up in the town next to he and my grandma, so I saw them often. I loved when they took us to parks, and holding my grandparents hands. When we moved from Michigan, we stayed with my grandparents for awhile until we moved into our home. Grandma and Grandpa gave me a sketch pad that I loved to draw in. Definitely starting a foundation to my love for drawing today. Spending every holiday with my grandparents, and them always wanting to know my adventures. I always felt like I had full support of my grandpa in every choice I made. As I grew older, my passion for big band music and jazz sealed a bond between my grandpa and I.

Grandpa played the saxophone in bands, for the Army, and even as music therapy. When it came time for college, my grandparents believed in me and helped support me financially for which I am eternally grateful.

My most special memories in my adult years is the recent family weddings where it was a sure thing that Grandpa and I would dance to some big band song. Whether it was Moonlight Serenade or Moondance, I knew my grandfather was going to teach me more steps I have never seen before!!

I am relieved to say that every time I ended my visit to NJ, I made sure to give grandpa a big hug and tell him how much I love him. Never be afraid to tell someone how much they mean to you.

My thoughts are with my father and aunt, and especially my grandmother who had the honor of being married to such a great man for 63 years. I pledge to myself to write her a letter every week to show her that I am thinking of her and she has the love and support of her family. My heart is still sad for the loss of my grandfather, but I know he is smiling down on me.

I made a photo collage for the wake, and here are some pictures that were in it:

Thought people would get a kick of this picture. My brother Brian, brother Rob, me and my cousin Jane. Yes, Brian is wearing a Transformers shirt!Grandpa and Grandma always happy and in love. I aspire to be them!
Grandpa with his great-grandson. They were adorable together and definitely had a connection.

3 comments:

quietandsmalladventures said...

oh kelly, i'm so sorry for your loss. my opa was as important to me, and it never makes it easier to loose them.

Anonymous said...

i love the pict of you as a little girl on the couch! So cute! I'm sure your grandfather is so proud of everything you have accomplished, you are a very talented and successful young lady! Someone so special can never be forgotten. We are thinking of you!

Carol Ann said...

My condolences to you & your family. It sounds like you have lots of great memories to hold on to.