Thursday, July 03, 2008

Day 5: June 21

Machu Picchu from the ground
Bridge where we got swarmed by bugs....
Beautiful river and rocks through Aguas Calientes

Our train back to Cuzco isn't until 1:30pm, and with our wake-up schedule between 4:30-5:30am, we decided to walk towards the Incan Trail that leads to Machu Picchu, we just want to be part of nature as much as possible. It was interesting, got some bug bites, but that trail up to Machu Picchu was brutal, just going up the whole time...you'd have to be in good shape! Sorry the video is sideways, I am an idiot!!




We had lunch at a little restaurant in Aguas Calientes, and this dog was looking really cute outside the restaurant. The restaurants don't have walls on the entrance side of the restaurant, so animals are easily able to walk in and out. According to my buddy Willy, cats stay indoors, and dogs are the outdoor animal (as opposed to the US). So I made eye contact with the dog, then he came in. I pet him and it was DISGUSTING, he looked cute, but he felt and smelled nasty. He laid down next to me while I ate and followed us out when we left. It broke my heart, but he was nasty! We called him Scrapper.


We got our train, and it was just as beautiful on the way back as it was coming from. The train attendants put on a fashion show of alpaca gear, and one guy danced in traditional garb and danced through the aisles. It was really bizarre actually! We needed a taxi back to Cuzco-2 hours away, but Templeton really wanted to stop on the way and see the Maras Salt Salineras.

"The Salineras de Maras, or Inca salt pans have been used for centuries. They are allotted to the citizens of Maras and each one gets a certain number of the plots to which they keep the profits of the salt that is packaged out and sold. Families pass the plots down from generation to generation like heirlooms." Basically it's where they make salt from the hot springs. It was really a site to see!




We also saw goats on the mountainside which is something I have always enjoyed learning about! I was really excited!

3 comments:

Templeton said...

One of my favorite days of the trip. The Salt Pans where amazing. I could have stayed there for a long time.

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of a book about dog sightings while traveling. I always take pictures of dogs!

sarah said...

that is some good looking salt!