Thursday, November 18, 2010

Getting my "herb" on

So years ago when I had a foot injury, my orthopedic recommended this natural gel called "Arnica". I have had it for 3 years and it works wonders! Anytime I have muscle pain, I rub it in, and it makes the pain go away!
Sadly, I ran out. There is an Herbal "Farmacy" on Granby Street I have always been curious about (but Subway and Mi Hogar), and wanted to see if it was there. Temp and I ran over there and it was...uhhh...different. A couple of rooms that looked like run down offices, and a pharmacy counter. Rows of shelves of giant canisters of herbs, and then more shelves of random asian herbs.
I asked them if they had Arnica, he said no, but he said something that would work for pain. He put together a concoction of peppermint, lavender, and I don't know what else. Said to rub it on the pain, and listed off all kinds of places where I could put it, "on your arm, on your head, on your leg, on your ear, etc". He offered me a sample size for $3.50, I said why not! I really am becoming a fan of more natural healing stuff.
So I get an unmarked bottle and he says, "for your headaches, rub it on your temples, wipe it off your pinky, and put your pink up your nose and rub it around, but don't inhale it!" That made me laugh!
Fortunately I am just putting it on my arm because of a strain from working on the deck.
I will let you know how it works, I am about to use it now!

Update: 6:53
It feels like IcyHot. It's strong. It's opening up my sinuses, feeling tingly, but I think it's working. I don't know if the IcyHot feeling is just masking the pain though....

Update: 7:46
Not impressed really. It feels like IcyHot, but I still feel pain. It could be me, my paint could be a pinched nerve or something where I don't think this remedy would help. I will try again on a definite sore muscle, but in the meantime, I am going back to the Health Food Store to get more Arnica!

2 comments:

quietandsmalladventures said...

i know the health food store on 21st over across from the old farm fresh had arnica in pill form, they might have the gel as well. the helth food store on colley should have arnica gel though. it's awesome, i've been using it for years!

mommo said...

I get my arnica (gel or cream) at the Vitamin Shoppe. Do you have those down in VA?