Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My trip to Haiti


8 1/2 years ago I went to Haiti and the Dominican Republic with a church I attended back then. I grew very attached to the people there, they were really kind and generous. The trip changed my life and really made me appreciate the life we have here in America. I was in the poorest part of the Dominican and Haiti where they had 1 room shacks with tin roofs for families of 5+, no cars, and security at stores was a man sitting with a shotgun out front. Either way, I learned that the people were so grateful for what they had, in comparison to us, they didn't have much of anything.

This earthquake in Haiti really touched my heart because even though they are ok with the bare essentials, they don't even have those anymore. No water, electricity, medicine, etc. Also, a good friend of mine's family lives there, so knew the one thing I could do is donate to the cause. On NPR, Bill Clinton was saying they need money NOW! They don't even have enough aspirin for pain, let alone making arm splints with magazines.

This is your chance, take some time and a little money to donate to help Haiti. You know that $25 isn't going to break the bank, just don't go shopping or out to dinner one night.


Here are some pictures from my trip
This is where Haitians crossed the border to the Dominican (legally). They believed that while crossing the border, they "must get their feet wet".
Troublesome thieves being taken away from the market
Haitians going to the market to sell their eggs, chickens and produce to make money.

The border on land.

1 comment:

Templeton said...

It is cool to see your pictures again.