Sunday, January 03, 2010

Finally some screen printing results!!


This all started with the idea of teaching my students how to screen print. I think it's important for them to learn forms of art that surrounds them everyday and is a part of their culture. Screen printing is all over their clothes, products, etc.
So I needed to work out all of the kinks before doing it in the classroom.
The assignment: come up with a word that describes or represents you and design it. What word or small phrase would you wear on your clothes and people would know more about you, and you'd wear it with pride?

My example that I made up was "Rethink, Reuse". I am really into turning old stuff into another useful product to avoid it all going to the landfill. Ex. egg cartons--use for paint, old t-shirts--cleaning rags. Etc...

Templeton and I made 3 runs of the same screen and having issues every round til the last. It turns out we were rinsing the screen after exposure with warm/hot water, and that sets the emulsion.
Here are my first prints after much trial and error that I am GLAD I did before teaching the students!!

**Above is the first run of the whole screen. The right half is my stuff, the left half is Templeton's stuff.

The red book is my 2010 planner, the bright paper is paper I found in that dental cabinet we found at the estate sale--over a 100 beautiful sheets of vibrant paper.
I love red and blue together! The black is my new large moleskine with a 35mm camera. One of my New Year's resolutions is to fill the 100 page sketchbook up!
The close up!

Many more prints to come!

2 comments:

Templeton said...

I just want to screen print MORE.

little pink trees. ooo said...

whoa love this! you need a etsy lady! heidi!