Thursday, April 02, 2009

Altered book, revisited

So I started doing altered books again, working off a new book. Temp had a calendar/survival guide "Worst Case Scenerio" that he never really used. It's got a calendar, images, cool words and seemed perfect for an altered book. Good size too, easy to carry around. (About 6"x7")
Here are my first 2 collages...it seems I have already developed a theme (not knowing it at the time). The theme seems to be life. Then, as I had mentioned in an earlier blog, I can reference my life, animal life, and, if you know me and my art, I love old men and their wrinkles, I can incorporate that too!!
This one I created the kangaroo and human body in class. (When I was supposed to be teaching!!) I brought some cheetah tissue paper to my next class and started to work on the negative space by tearing and adhering the paper. My kids started to come over and watch. They wanted to be a part of it. So I said we needed something in the upper left, and they found the word LIVE in one of my magazines. So we cut that out and added it. Then they found the gnome and wanted to add that. It ended up being a collaboration with about 5 other students and it was a good time. They want to start making their own now!!

I made this during my planning period. The man was first. I liked the word survival being that older people, death, etc has been affecting my life lately. I then took tracing paper, tore in piece and glued. Took blank ink and painted, gold paint on top, to give an antiqued effect. I then added charcoal on top of that to give contrast and give a wrinkled effect that reminded me of the old man.

I am still learning, but it's fun!

3 comments:

Templeton said...

lookin' rad. makes me want to do something like this too.

Templeton said...

Comment from itouch!

cattina said...

you have an iTouch now too? awesome! aren't they great?