Sunday, October 28, 2007

Our honeybee population

Have you noticed we haven't seen as many bees around in the past year? Being that I worked at Botanical Gardens, we took notice because they were a part of our daily lives and affecting our plants. We teach lessons on honeybees, and things were changing...
There were theories about where they were, one of them being that cell phone signals were confusing the bees so they weren't able to return to their hives. I found out tonight, that was a false statement made by a doctor in Britain.
On PBS's Nature, I learned that 1/3 of our honeybee population in the past year has disappeared. Have you thought about what bees help make in our daily lives? Besides the obvious-honey, they also pollinate our flowers-which produces fruit and vegetables. The honey contributes to our peanut butter, breads, desserts, etc.
The cause of this all-CCD, Colony Collapse Disorder is said to be a combination of problems. Ranging from pesticides, virus, and malnutrition. These things make the bees sick and disoriented, and at times the bee travels up to 3 miles away from their hive to pollinate and they are too weak or confused to return to the hive.
There are just certain things that grab my attention, and this was one of them. Here is a link if you want to learn more: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/bees/.


Side note: I saw "Into the Wild" last night, an absolutely fabulous movie. It's about this college grad that dreams of going to Alaska-no money, no partner, just him and nature. It was a great realization of what we depend on in life. "Money makes us cautious" is one thing he said, but at the same time, love is a big part of being happy in life. I highly recommend seeing the movie.

3 comments:

Templeton said...

Into The Wild was totally awesome. even at 2.5 hours it didn't seem too long. It made me want to go into the wild more often.

Anonymous said...

I had to read that book when I was in college, and I do remember being quite affected by it. It sounds like the movie is worth a viewing!...Stacey B.

b rendan said...

That movie was indeed awesome; however I think the main character was a little too romantic and rigid in his idealism and it ultimately hurt him. Was he ever satisified? What was he really running from so tirelessly? He appeared to find some good things along his journey but he kept moving on. I think he was kinda screwed up (but I guess I am just stating the obvious here huh!?)